Telstra says it is investigating an outage affecting about 1 million customers in Telstra’s Brisbane network
Posted On July 12, 2021
Telstra has confirmed that it is “actively investigating” an outage impacting 1.5 million customers at the company’s Brisbane and Sydney copper wire network.
In a statement to The Hindu, Telstra said it has already deployed a “high level of power and communications resilience” to prevent a repeat of the problem.
It said it is still working through the issue.
Telstra also said that the outage affected about 100,000 customers at its Brisbane, Sydney and Hobart copper wire networks.
Telstra, which has been trying to bring its services to the internet since it started using the NBN in 2011, has been working with Telstra, Telkom and Optus to mitigate the problem through a range of measures, including providing a fibre-optic line to some customers and providing more data-cable boxes.
Telkom has been installing fibre-to-the-node (FTTN) technology on some of its copper wire and has been rolling out an upgraded version of its fibre-coaxial cable network.
Telestorm is a Telstra product that lets users remotely switch to an internet connection in an emergency.
The company said it had been providing “high-speed, reliable and reliable services” to customers in an “active and proactive manner” as part of a broader effort to “increase the speed and reliability of our services”.